Thursday, May 10, 2018

Growing

Hey, hey, hey.

Guys, what a week it has been!

Last I wrote, our final Improv class had passed, and it wasn't the greatest and I was terrrrrribly nervous about the Friday night show. It has come and gone, and by golly, I killed it!

Thursday, I was still pretty nervous, but it was manageable because I still had a day to prepare, but that night-- I couldn't fall asleep for anything. My heart was pounding so hard; the show was all I could think about.

Friday was the longest day ever. I was so anxious all morning. There was a period in the afternoon that I kind of forgot about the show and that was great-- I got a lot done. But then I remembered and was so, so nervous all over again. (And it was extra nervous, like I had to make up for the hours lost not being nervous.)

Right after work, I had to show a house, so I didn't get home until 5:30 and I had to be at the theatre at 6. This was probably a blessing because I had to rush home and get ready instead of going home and ruminating in my panic.

Heather pulled up to the theatre at the same time as I did, so that was comforting. I hadn't seen her since she'd had Charlie, so I was super glad she was there. Also, I needed the support. Once everyone from class had arrived, we talked over who would play what and how the show would go. At this point, I was dying.

About 30 minutes before the show, we went out behind the theatre and played some warm up games. That was so helpful! I really do like all of the people there, and playing games with them was strangely calming.

When we went back inside, we had a few minutes to hang out before we had to go backstage. And as I was standing there, I was ready. Yes, still nervous, but it was the manageable kind of nervous, not the debilitating kind. I felt good and confident.

The host introduced us and we went out dancing. The show was split into two halves. Each person played one game per half. My game went so well! People laughed with me! I didn't die! The people I was performing with were so funny and it was just amazing.

It really was the strangest thing-- there was a moment on stage when I removed myself for a second and realized that I didn't feel nervous right then. I felt in control. (I was so surprised by that.)

The second game went equally well, and before I knew it, the show was over. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am, but at the same time, I truly enjoyed doing it and am thankful that Heather encouraged me to take the classes in the first place. I can't praise the teachers enough. They do an excellent job of creating a safe, encouraging, and creative environment.



My mom came down for the show and I'm so glad she did. I feel a little more validated since someone actually witnessed me being hilarious on stage. Mom, Annie, and my friends Katie and Nicole, and I went out to dinner afterwards at my favorite pizza place, which made for a great ending to great night.

Saturday, Mom, Annie, and I went the Farmer's Market and spent a little time around town before heading to Arizona for the Colorado City Music Festival. This was their second year as a festival, and it was so, so good! I'll definitely be back next year.

I got terribly sunburnt, so that sucked, but honestly, it was such a good time. The artists were talented and the lineup was amazing. It was varied, but leaned towards the country side. Like I've said many times before, I love live music. The event was held up a canyon, in a park. The scenery in Southern Utah is unparalleled. Only a 60 minute drive from my home and I get to be in one of the most gorgeous parts of the world. How incredible is that?

Monday night I didn't have volleyball and tonight I didn't have improv, so I don't quite know what to do with myself. I ended up going to a weights class and then a Drum and Jazz Concert at one of the high schools.

What a life we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment