Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Flying Time

Hey there!

I'm always kind of surprised by how Wednesday sneaks up on me every week. Lately, I feel like time is just moving by so fast. I can't keep track of the days and before I know it another week has gone by! It's scary, because I want to be sure to 'live while I'm alive' (or whatever), but how can I when I don't even know what day it is?!

Anyway, it's been a pretty good week around here. I guess as long as the weeks are good, I don't mind so much that they're going by fast.

Friday night, we went to SUU's production of Urinetown. I had never seen, nor heard of this musical, but apparently, it's famous (and it's Heather's favorite). I had no idea. It takes place in a world where there was a drought or something, so the government restricted water usage, and private companies began providing and charging for basic necessities like toilet access. Then the characters decide that they should be able to pee freely and they revolt. It's reminiscent of Les Mis in a way.

I enjoyed it so much! The dancing and singing was amazing, as it always is at SUU, but it was hysterical! I especially enjoyed the narrator character, or rather the actor who played him. He was amazingly talented and played the part so well. I love seeing people who are so gifted at what they do, and who seem to truly enjoy doing it.

Saturday morning, Katie and I went to Heather's baby shower. It took place at her aunt's house, except her aunt lives in a dreamy farmhouse that overlooks an actual farm with animals and everything and it was just the most magical morning. I'd been there before for the Tour of Homes, but it was amazing to actually spend time there. The aunt runs Red Acre Farms, which is a big part of the local farmers' market here in Cedar. All of the food that was served was from the farm-- there was yogurt they made, and I'm sure the eggs in the quiche were laid there on the farm. I had some chocolate milk and I'm fairly certain it was made with goat's milk.

I was just in awe the whole time because it feels so quaint and like the people who are living there truly love what they do and are happy to live a slightly alternative lifestyle. I admire that so much. I admire the passion and hard work I'm sure it has taken to get them where they are.

The baby shower was sweet. I only knew Heather and her husband's mom, but it was still so much fun to celebrate Heather and the arrival of Charlie. She was due this past Tuesday, but he still hasn't made an appearance.

Heather actually came to Improv tonight. I didn't really expect her to be there, but she was and she killed it. Every week has focused on a type of game, and this week was Guessing Games. You can probably imagine how it goes, but there are 4 players and 1 player leaves while the other 3 are assigned a character, and the 4th person comes back and has to figure out what the other 3 are throughout the scene.

In my scene, I played that I was in a courtroom, so I pretended to be a lawyer and threw around what little courtroom jargon I know. One girl played that she was walking on ice no matter where she was, and the other guy played that after every sentence he spoke, he had to strike a pose (just to give you an idea of how it goes.) It was a good time, but I learned that I am extremely uncomfortable on a stage when I don't have anything to do. I just stood there, like, I don't know what to do with my body in this space! I'm much more comfortable when I'm talking and interacting with another person.

It's good to notice those things, because it gives me something to work on and be aware of. At the end of every class, we circle up and tell what we enjoyed or learned that class. One girl said that she enjoys seeing how we all improve from week to week, and I love that! I love that we're supportive of each other and growing together. Even though we're all at different stages, both in life and in comedy, we have something to learn from the people we're playing with. I'm so happy to know them all.

What a life we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment