Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Trip to Texas!

Bonjour!

Maybe you realized that last week I didn't write anything (or maybe you didn't), but either way, I'm here to write today, and make up for last week.

I actually had some stuff written and ready to post, but my Wednesday didn't exactly go as planned and I never made it to a computer to get it up here. (There was a rant about old airplanes and uncomfortable seats, but I'll save it.)

I left Poitiers last Tuesday evening on the train to Paris to stay near the airport for my flight Wednesday morning. It ended up being delayed, but I was going to still make my connection at DFW. Then that flight was delayed, then there was a bomb threat, so we were rerouted to Lubbock. When I finally made it to Amarillo, I was exhausted and I wasn't about to drive to Dalhart. Thankfully, I have family that let me stay with them for the night.

So, I didn't make it like I planned, but it ended up working out. I drove to Dalhart the next morning and got to have breakfast at my favorite restaurant. (Even in Utah and Idaho, I have not found a restaurant that makes me as happy as Hodies.)

The reason I was going to Texas in the first place was to be in my best friend's wedding...only, she didn't know I was coming. So Thursday morning, I got to surprise her! It was the best thing ever. Her mom had ordered me a dress and everything so it was all prepared.

As the surprise, her mom wrapped my bridesmaid dress and gave it to Jonna as an 'early wedding present' at breakfast. When she opened it, I came out of the kitchen and surprised her. She's so funny-- she had the dress on over her head and was showing off to all of her family that was gathered around. When she finally saw me, she threw the dress off, and started squealing and crying and we hugged for a long time.


I had been planning on coming since November, so it had taken so much not to tell her about it in advance. Do you know how hard that was?! I was so excited to be there!

It was an awesome surprise. I'm so glad Sheila planned it that way.

That was Thursday, and I spent a lot of that day with Jonna. That evening, I got to see my cousins at their house and spend some time with the family. (Although, because of the time difference, I was pretty exhausted by evening.)

Friday, I got to eat at my other favorite restaurant, La Espanola. It's just the perfect kind of Tex-Mex. In all of the mexican food places I've eaten, I've never had rice as good as La Espanola's rice. (Yes, I do plan every trip to Dalhart with the intention of eating my favorite foods. I've never been back and not eaten there!) Zane, my cousin Bailey, and I had lunch there, then Zane and I drove around town a bit.

I met Bailey again for coffee that afternoon before I had to go to the rehearsal dinner. That night, we had a game night with the cousins. That's one thing about my family that I love-- game nights. Sometimes they get a little crazy, but they're always fun.

Saturday was wedding day! All of the ladies in the wedding met for breakfast and spent the morning together just hanging out. Around noon, we started getting everyone ready, then we went for pictures. I only knew two of the other girls, but I think we were an awesome group. The three that that I didn't know were fun, and I know that if Jonna picked them, they must also be great people.

After pictures, we went to the church to wait for the wedding to start. When people started showing up, we were all getting pretty nervous. Jonna was absolutely stunning. Her dress was beautiful and everything looked so perfect.

Finally, we got the signal that we were about to start. We all walked out and stood, waiting for the bride. She walked behind a curtain until she was at the center aisle, then it was pulled open and she walked out.

As I had already seen her all day, I watched Coury as he saw her for the first time. The look on his face was so touching. I'm so, so happy that Jonna found someone who loves her like Coury so obviously does.

It took everything in me to not cry as Jonna's dad kissed her cheek and gave her away to Coury. Actually, I was holding back tears the entire ceremony. Everything about it was beautiful. The pastor told us the story of how Coury and Jonna met and how they had God at the center of their relationship.

I may be biased, but it was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen.

After Coury kissed his bride, we all danced down the aisle, and everyone made their way to the reception. I've never really been one to stay for long at wedding receptions, but for Jonna's I stayed until they closed the place down.

I got to see to many people I hadn't seen in a while, and I even got to hang out with some old high school friends. It was especially good to see them and to know that they are all doing well in their lives.
(Molly, Me, Sadye, Jonna, Sarah, Hannah, Leah)

Sunday I set aside to spend with my mom's side of the family, so that morning, I packed up my siblings and we headed to Amarillo. We spent the day on the back patio, cooked out, and just had a good time catching up with everyone. We didn't do anything particularly exciting, but I was just happy to be around my favorite people.

That night, as we were leaving Amarillo, Gracie told me, 'We have the best family.' And I had to agree. I really believe we do, on both sides. I love when I get to spend time with my family. They truly are my favorite people to be around, and I can't imagine my life without them.

Monday, I went to the airport to make my way back to Poitiers. When I finally got to my apartment Tuesday afternoon, I was exhausted. My internal clock was all screwed up and all I wanted to do was sleep. However, I really needed to get back on schedule because Thursday I'm leaving again and don't really have time to be on a messed up sleep schedule. So, I sat at my desk and caught up on YouTube videos until I made the (bad) decision to move to the bed.

Once I was laying down, I was out. I probably napped for about 2 hours before I forced myself to get back up. I watched two movies before I decided I could go to bed. And I was out real quick, until my dad called at midnight because I had forgotten to check in when I got home. I only vaguely remember talking to him. I couldn't figure out the time (because my iPhone clock hadn't updated) and I was really confused as to where I was, but I guess I talked to him, then went back to sleep.

I woke up this morning at 6 am. The sun was streaming through my window and I thought I had slept way too long, but it turned out I could stay in bed for another hour or two.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I have to do a quick load of laundry and make a stop at the grocery store, then pack my bags again to leave tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to my next trip, except that I'm not ready to sit for long periods of time again. (My butt is really sore.)

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I'm anxious to get back and tell you about what I've done this coming week!

Je t'embrasse,
Sarah

I didn't take many pictures this week, but here's one that I absolutely love.



One of my favorite things about the Texas Panhandle is the horizon. I love the mountains in Utah and Idaho, and I love the city here in Poitiers, but there's something about those wide open spaces that feels like home to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment